Today, all that remains of the original Mexico Point summer resorts situated on the west side of the Little Salmon River in Mexico, NY, are the thick stone walls, the fireplace, t​he heavy chains that connect the pillars at the entrances, and the memories.

Walls, Chain and Fireplace

Prior to the advent of the of the automobile​ guests were met at the railroad station by a horse-drawn bus, which took them to the lake. Reservations were always necessary. In the early 1900’s the Inn again suffered a damaging fire.​

Frank Davis purchased the property and built Mexico Point club on the same site as the Inn. The “Club” became a popular destination for many who enjoyed boating, swimming, clambakes and a “nightclub” atmosphere. The “Club” was noted for its dance floor which was said to be the best one around. Mexico townspeople would drive down through the park, past the hotel and leave their cars on the beach which was always full of swimmers on warm summer days.

During the 1940’s and early 1950’s, Carmen Basilio and Joey DeJohn, used the Mexico Point Club as a summer training camp. The “Club” remained a popular place for dancing, clambakes, and other social gathering.

The property was purchased by the State of New York in the early the 1960’s. The mouth of the Little Salmo​n River was diverted to the east, break walls were built and the Mexico Point Boat Launch was established and the western side of the Little Salmon River remained closed to the public.

In 1992, Grace Roop, formed a group of dedicated citizen and with the support of the Town of Mexico was able to negotiate a Cooperative Agreement between the State of New York and the Town of Mexico.  This agreement allows the Town of Mexico to operate and maintain the 122 acre site as a public park now known as Mexico Point State Park.

For over 150 years Mexico Point was “the place to be”, and now, thanks to the creations of Mexico Point State Park, it still is.